Monday, October 29, 2012

A Few Old Pics, A Major Milestone, and Thoughts About Change

I always get the urge to "nest" in the fall, focusing on family, our home, and the holidays.  Lately, though, some changes have affected the rhythm of this season for me.  My kids are growing up, and my nest is just a few years away from being empty.  I know  my life is about to change in ways that I cannot predict or control.


Christmas 1997...seems like a lifetime ago.

So what now?

I was the Girl Scout leader mom, the volunteer in the library mom, the help with school parties and teach Sunday school mom.  Life was sometimes too full and it was absolutely never quiet or lonely.  In some ways I will forever mourn the passing of that season.  It was so very rich.  

The huz and I celebrated an important milestone on August first of this year.  It has been twenty-five years since we plunged into married life with unfettered dreams, strong opinions and naive confidence.  A few years later we entered into parenthood in the same way.  All of it has changed us, softened us, humbled us and hopefully we are a bit wiser these days.  We are certainly a bit older!

  Newlyweds...in Mountain Home, Idaho (1988)
We had so much ahead of us...still do.

I look forward to the coming transformation, the next metamorphosis in our life together as the kids become increasingly independent.  Having an empty nest will mean huge changes for me personally and I want to embrace it all with a sense of adventure.  I'm not sure I will be entirely successful, but I'm going to give it a go.

I think a lot about the woman I wrote about in this post.  The story of the way she handled a very big transition continues to inspire and encourage me.  I want that kind of grace in my life.  I want to honor and appreciate what was while boldly walking toward what will be.  

And do you know what?  Deep, deep down I really do believe my life is unfolding just exactly as it should and when I focus on that I find peace that I cannot explain.  At the end of the day I truly, deeply believe that the One who loves me more than any other is on my side.  He sees me wrestle with my questions, my disappointments and my fears.  He knows how I dream of a bright future and He assures me He has great plans for me and my family.  I need not fear or regret change.  The story is much, much bigger than just what I see and feel today.

 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord“plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." -Jeremiah 29:11

I pray that you are increasingly able to embrace the transitions you face in your life and that a sense of assurance and adventure will permeate your thoughts about change and the future.  May your awareness of the "bigger picture" increase and may you find deep peace beyond explanation or understanding.

I hope you find beauty in this season of your life and celebrate each blessing this day brings.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your lovely comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...