Thursday, December 8, 2011

Yummy Cream Scones

My son and I were in the kitchen at 5:30 this morning making scones for his geography class at school.  We used a recipe that is so easy and so good I wanted to share it with you. 


Cream Scones

Preheat oven to 425 deg. Farenheit.  Whisk together:
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1 T baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
(I have substituted 1 c whole wheat flour for one of the cups of all purpose flour with good results. This yields a scone that is heavier, but very flavorful.)

Add and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened:
- 1 1/4 c heavy cream


Knead dough against side of bowl 5-10 times to form a ball.  Pat into an 8" circle, slice into 8 or 12 wedges and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Brush with extra cream, if desired, and bake for 12-15 minutes.  That is it...Couldn't be any easier and they are yum!

Today we threw some chocolate chips in before forming the dough into a ball.  My favorite addition is a little ground cinnamon and some slivered almonds.

And, since you asked, I will tell you that I found the recipe in my most favorite recipe book of all time:



I have two different editions of this classic and they are an invaluable resources for me.  They are the first place I look when I need a classic recipe or want to learn more about a certain ingredient or technique.

So... I hope you'll try and enjoy this recipe.  Wouldn't warm scones be nice Christmas gifts for your friends and neighbors?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your lovely comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...