Monday, May 6, 2013

The Company I Keep

Brace yourself...this post is a bit out of the ordinary for me, but then sometimes we all need to step out and do something a little different! 


Sometimes you just have to kiss old expectations goodbye


and open your eyes to new possibilities.


Sometimes you just have to put on your best tiaras


and have a little fun!


Show the world your true colors!


This is Bea, a silly creature that emerged a few days ago at my friend Penny's house.  Penny and I both needed a play day so we decided to follow Allison Stilwell's tutorial for Recycled Heads found in the January/February 2012 issue of Cloth Paper Scissors.  

Our goal was simply to have fun but the first few steps of the process didn't go as expected and we got a little frustrated.  We just couldn't see how it was all going to work out.  Fortunately, as we kept working we began to enjoy the spontaneity of it all and ended up having a great day full of laughter and creativity.


I can't look at Bea without smiling.  I love that crazed look in her eyes and the fact that she's made of recycled bits.  Under her paper towel skin (the towels were once used to clean up paint on my palette) her "bones" include an empty medicine bottle, some packing paper, lids from various types of containers, and a toilet paper roll.  

Bea is going to hang out in my studio for a while to remind me that no matter how unlikely it seems, the bits and pieces of my life will all become part of my lumpy-bumpy, one-of-a-kind, lovely-in-its-own-crazy-way story.  

Oh, and she's a great listener, too :-)


I'll have to be careful, though.  If it's true what they say, I may just become like the company I keep!


Thanks for stopping by.  I hope this last photo didn't scare you away forever!

Linking up today with:

4 comments:

  1. I love this! Sometimes we do all need a play day! I love how you spoke of the bits of life we all go through. We may not always understand it, but in the end it is all part or our bigger masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the silliness and the colors and want to have a play too!!! I'm visiting from Creative Every Day. You can find my blog at morningprayerblog.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, LOVE it! I love your metaphor with life too, so true ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well isn't she just marvelous....loving them ruby lips and your freedom to make her. Bea can come on and visit a spell anytime....she has pizzazz. xox

    ReplyDelete

Your lovely comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...