Friday, October 1, 2010

Transformations

A few weeks ago I developed a new semi-obsessive interest in silver plated spoons.  (Did you see my last post?)  Since then I've scoured second-hand shops and rummage sales for vintage utensils, the older the better.  I've got some ideas for Christmas ornaments and jewelry, but for now I am having a lot of fun hammering the spoons flat and embellishing them with stamped words and phrases.


Each piece is absolutely unique and full of character, bearing many marks and imperfections. 


I think a lot about spiritual parallels when I work in my studio.  When altering these spoons I remember that they were uncared for and discarded until I purchased them, seeing the potential each one held.  Despite their layers of tarnish and grime, I believed that each one could be transformed into something new and beautiful in its own right.  Do you see where I'm going with this?

I can't think of a better illustration of the transforming love of Christ.  Even in our lowest moments He sees our potential.  He looks far beyond our imperfections and sees something beautiful.  He values us so greatly that He gave His life as the purchase price. 

That's a big message for a little spoon to carry and it was a huge cross for one man to bear.  I hope today you know how valuable and full of potential you are.  In the capable hands of our Creator, marks left by hurt, shame and regret are not only redeemed, but transformed.  Our scars become an essential part of our character and beauty.

2 comments:

  1. Such a wonderful message - beautifully put and much appreciated! The spoons are lovely, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, sweetie. I've got you in my heart.

    ReplyDelete

Your lovely comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...